DUI spring crackdowns on now
Spring is beginning to arrive in many parts of the country, and with it comes warm weekends and people spending more time out and about. It’s also time for spring break across the country, and although that means sun, sand, and fun for students, it also means the beginning of law enforcement’s driving under the influence (DUI) spring crackdown.
Spring break isn’t the only time in the spring that law enforcement are kept on their toes – the St.Patrick’s Day, 4 day weekends for Easter, and warmer weather result in an increase in the frequency of crashes and DUI arrests.
Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that the period of spring break kicks off an increase in fatal crashes involving alcohol. Take Texas for example – the NHTSA saw a 23% increase in fatal driving while intoxicated (DWI) crashes during the spring break, prompting the Texas Department of Transportation to launch an anti-drinking and driving campaign called ‘DWI Hangovers Don’t Go Away.’
Although spring break and subsequent warmer weather may put you in the mood for having fun, it’s a great time to brush up on how you can stay safe this spring break and beyond.
- Never drink if you are underage. Most states have 0 tolerance for underage drinking.
- If you are of age, decide how much you will drink before you go out and don’t go over your limit.
- If you are traveling for spring break or a warm weather vacation, be aware of the local DUI laws and don’t violate them.
- Monitor your beverages when out in public and never leave your drink unattended.
- Designate a driver should you be going out or leave your keys at home and take a cab wherever you go.
When the weather gets warm, it’s easy to kick back and have fun. But as the DUI crackdown shows, local law enforcement wants to ensure your safety on the road during these busy times. Stay safe this spring and never get behind the wheel after drinking.