How Do I Install or Transfer my Interlock Device to My New Car?

You just bought a new car? Congratulations! That means you either need to have an ignition interlock device installed or have your old device transferred to your new car. Here are a few tips on getting this done quickly while ensuring you remain compliant with your jurisdiction’s requirements for an ignition interlock device (IID).

Installing an IID for the first time

If you’ve been convicted of an alcohol-related driving offense, but have not owned a car until now, you may be overwhelmed with what you need to do. Most states require you to install an IID if you need to drive and if you’ve had an alcohol-related driving offense (DUI, DWI, OUI, OWI). All states are somewhat different in their requirements. You can view your state’s requirements on our website.

Getting an ignition interlock installed to meet state requirements is easy. Just call one of our friendly Customer Care Experts at 800-634-3077. They will provide you with state-specific information about what is required to get started on your interlock program. They’ll also set up your installation appointment for you at a certified service center near you.

Here’s a quick video that shows you what to expect at your installation appointment:

Get your restricted license

Since you didn’t have a car before, you will need to obtain an IID-restricted driver’s license. Our knowledgeable Customer Care Expert will help you with the steps necessary to secure one. When you go for your installation appointment, you will need to ask a friend or family member who has a valid driver’s license to drive you in your new car to the installation appointment.

Transferring your IID to a new car

If you currently have an IID in your existing car and you’ve just purchased a new car, here’s how you switch the device over to your new vehicle.

Call LifeSafer first

Call one of our Customer Care Experts at 800-634-3077 and tell them about the new car and request a transfer. They will help in securing the proper approval from your monitoring agency and set up a convenient appointment time for you with a LifeSafer Certified Technician to complete the process. 

Here’s the information you should have ready before you call them:

  • Your restricted driver’s license number
  • Year, make, model, and VIN number of the new vehicle
  • Vehicle registration information
  • If court ordered to install an ignition interlock, so you have the details of your ordered requirements

You will need to have a friend or family member with a valid driver’s license drive your new vehicle to the service location. They will also need to drive your old vehicle once the IID has been transferred to your new car.

Eliminate any risk

You should not drive your new car to the installation or transfer appointment. If you do, there’s a risk of your interlock program being extended or your license being revoked, and there may be additional fines you’d have to pay. It’s best to follow the rules and stay compliant with your program requirements.

About LifeSafer

LifeSafer is an industry leader in alcohol testing and monitoring. With over 30 years of experience in helping people like you successfully complete their alcohol programs,  we offer a level of client value that no other provider can match. From superior customer care to our highly-efficient analysis and reporting, you will receive an exceptional level of support. Our Authorized Service Providers focus on quality care to ensure we maintain the high standard of support our customers deserve.