LifeSafer Ignition Interlock

Minnesota Requirements

Get The Highest Rated Interlock.

By submitting this form, you agree and consent for LifeSafer and its affiliates to use automated technology, including emails, calls, texts, and prerecorded messages, to contact you at the information provided. No purchase necessary; message and data rates may apply.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Minnesota Certified

LifeSafer is a MNDPS certified ignition interlock provider.

MN DUI Checklist

Download a Minnesota License Restoration Checklist now.

Schedule Online

Schedule your installation online with LifeSafer No-Call Install™.

Quality Locations

LifeSafer has over 1,600+ locations nationwide.

Minnesota DUI Laws


Minnesota Ignition Interlock laws require drivers with any first-time alcohol offense with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level under 0.16 to lose their ability to drive for 90 days. There are three options if this applies to you.

You can install an ignition interlock (in-car breathalyzer) and receive an ignition interlock restricted license will full driving privileges; After 15 days without driving, you can apply for a limited license that will allow you to drive to and from work, school, treatment, abstinence support groups meetings, court, and probation. You are limited to driving 60 hours and no more than six days per week with this type of license. You cannot drive for the full 90 days.


If it is your 1st alcohol offense but you had a BAC of 0.16 or greater, you cannot drive for one year, but you have two options. You can install an ignition interlock and you will be able to drive just as you did before or go without driving for one year.

If you refused to take an alcohol test at the time of your arrest, you will not be able to drive for one year, but you can install an ignition interlock, wait 15 days and apply for a limited license with restrictions on where you can drive and how much driving you can do.

If this is a 2nd offense in 10 years or a 3rd offense on record (revoked status) with a BAC under 0.16, there is a one-year suspension. The only way to continue driving is to install an ignition interlock device. If your BAC was over 0.16 or if you refused to take a BAC test at the time of your arrest, you will not be able to drive for two years unless you install an ignition interlock.

If your License is “Canceled and Denied as Inimical to Public Safety,” your 3rd offense within 10 years or 4th offense on record results in three years minimum loss of driving privileges. A 4th offense within 10 years results in four years minimum loss of driving privileges. And a 5th or subsequent offense results in six years minimum loss of driving privileges.

In addition to these administrative sanctions, if you are convicted by a court or plead guilty, you face additional penalties. For a 1st conviction, the criminal sanctions are up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine of $1,000. A full chart of the administrative and criminal consequences of DWI in Minnesota is available here.

MN DUI Resources

Need to restore your license? We will send you a personalized license restoration process outlining every step of the way.

*Every situation and state is unique, please consult with your attorney or your state licensing authority to confirm your requirements and obligations.

The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information on this website may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information. This website contains links to other third-party websites for the convenience of our readers. Links from LifeSafer Ignition Interlock to other sites, or from other sites to the LifeSafer, do not constitute an endorsement by LifeSafer.  

Minnesota Ignition Interlock Pricing

An ignition interlock (IID) is about $3 per day on average in Minnesota, but what you are paying for goes beyond the device. LifeSafer IIDs are tested and calibrated for accuracy before ever going out the door.

Our customer service and reporting specialists are also part of LifeSafer’s value to our customers. Your local authorized Minnesota installation center is constantly updating their training and calibration service so your program runs smoothly and we can install an interlock on any vehicle. There is a lot riding on your device working properly and LifeSafer invests in accuracy and ease of use.

Minnesota DUI Attorneys

With a team dedicated to finding experienced DUI attorneys in Minnesota, LifeSafer works to make your ignition interlock experience as easy as possible. Call today to learn about our attorney partners, and gain the support you need to find the best DUI attorney near you.

Speak To An MN Expert

Our Minnesota state experts can answer any questions you have. Give them a call today and get your installation scheduled quickly.

MN DUI Checklist

Need a step by step guide for navigating the interlock process in Minnesota? Get started here to download your license restoration checklist.

Regain Your MN License Today!

We can help you regain your driving privileges quickly. Call for a quote or schedule your installation online.