Do I Really Need an SR-22 After an Alcohol-related Driving Arrest?

What is SR-22?

An SR-22 is a form filed with your state to show that you are meeting your jurisdiction’s minimum auto liability insurance requirements after an alcohol-related driving offense. An SR-22 may also be referred to as a certificate of financial responsibility.

People may mistakenly refer to it as “SR-22 insurance.” An SR-22 is not insurance ─ it’s simply a document provided by your insurance company that proves you have liability coverage.

An SR-22 certificate may be required after a DUI/DWI arrest and/or conviction in order to reinstate any driving privileges.

What is SR-22A?

An SR-22A is a certificate of financial responsibility used in Georgia, Texas, and Missouri. It is generally required when someone repeatedly violates the requirements of the SR-22 policy, such as letting the SR-22 expire.

If you live in Georgia or Texas and you get a DUI, you will be required to pay six full months of premium in advance to get the SR-22A. In Missouri for a DWI, the SR-22A certificate is similar to what other states refer to as the SR-22 certificate.

What is FR-44?

An FR-44 is similar to an SR-22 in that it is a financial responsibility certificate you must file with the state. However, the FR-44 is only used for alcohol-related traffic violations in Virginia and Florida. An FR-44 certificate is only used in the states of Virginia and Florida for certain offenses, such as a DUI with an injury. FR-44 requires double the state minimum coverage requirements.

Where do I get an SR-22 Certificate?

Simply call your auto insurance company and they will be able to provide the SR-22. Other interlock providers will try to get you to use their services to get the SR-22, but don’t be fooled. They often charge high fees to provide this convenience. You are better off asking your own insurance company for it.

Is it true that the SR-22 certificate is expensive?

Getting the actual SR-22 form only costs about $25 in most states. However, what’s true is your auto insurance premium may increase significantly. Since you have received a DUI/DWI/OUI that puts you in the high-risk insurance category which often requires non-standard insurance. This type of insurance is more expensive – anywhere from 2X – 4X more. 

How long will I be required to have the SR-22 certificate?

Your state’s motor vehicle agency (such as the DMV) determines the length of time you will be required to have an SR-22 certificate. It usually depends on the type of offense you received. The first DUI may require three years while second or third convictions could mandate an SR-22 certificate for the life of the driver.

Do I still need an SR-22 certificate if I don’t own a vehicle?

Some states require a driver to maintain something called a non-owner SR-22 if they drive but don’t actually own the car they drive. Check the requirements for the jurisdiction where you were arrested.

Is an SR-22 certificate required by all states?

No, not all of them. To find out if your state requires an SR-22, visit your state’s requirement page on our website

Call one of our friendly Customer Support Experts at 800-634-3077 to find out more about SR-22 certificates and to schedule your installation.

About LifeSafer 

LifeSafer is an industry leader in alcohol testing and monitoring. With over 30 years of experience in helping people like you successfully complete their alcohol programs, we offer a level of client value that no other provider can match. From superior customer care to our highly efficient analysis and reporting, you will receive an exceptional level of support. Our Authorized Service Providers focus on quality care to ensure we maintain the high standard of support our customers deserve. 

Every situation and state is unique, please consult with your attorney or your state licensing authority to confirm your requirements and obligations.

The information provided in this blog does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information in this blog is current at the time of publication, but may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information.