Restore your freedom to drive quickly, easily, and legally

Information on Connecticut Ignition Interlock laws, interlock installation locations and recovering your license after a Connecticut  DUI

Connecticut interlock laws require that anyone convicted of a DUI serve a suspension of 45 days, or until your 21st birthday, whichever is longer. After that time an interlock is required for one to three years, depending on prior DUI offenses. You are considered to be DUI if you register .08% or above on a blood-alcohol test. Those under 21 years old only need to register .02% or over.

NOTE: When you are arrested for a DUI in Connecticut your license can be suspended in two different ways:

From the DMV (also known as an administrative per se law): This only happens if you fail a breath test, or refuse to take one. The suspension period generally begins 30 days after arrest. You will receive a Notice of Suspension from the DMV telling you the period of suspension. Suspension can be from 6 months to 6 years, depending on the driver’s age, blood alcohol level (BAC) at time of arrest, and prior record of offenses.

From the criminal court. This occurs when you are sentenced by a court after a trial or plea agreement. You will possibly encounter both types of suspension. You will only be eligible for an interlock program after a criminal conviction.  If you are convicted in court for a first or second DUI offense, you can apply for an interlock after a 45-day suspension (unless criminal penalties dictate otherwise). If you are under 21, the suspension lasts until your 21st birthday.  You must serve a minimum of 48 hours in jail, or perform 100 hours of community service, and pay a fine.  For second or third offense, in addition to higher fines, you may face vehicle impound or confiscation, and permanent license revocation.  For a second offense within 10 years, you must have an ignition interlock installed for 3 years after the 45 day suspension period.

Get your license back in Connecticut after a DUI

Serve any required suspension period. You must have a valid registration for every vehicle on which an interlock will be installed.

How do I get an interlock license?

  • Fill out an Ignition Interlock Device Installation Application (P-246) form and mail with the $100.00 administration fee and a check or money order for the restoration fee of $175.00, payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Driver Services Division, 60 State Street, Wethersfield, Connecticut 06161-2525.

  • Once your application is approved, the form will be mailed back to you, along with another form authorizing the installation.

  • Call LifeSafer Ignition Interlock at 800-634-3077 to schedule your ignition interlock installation. Ask about offers and money saving discounts. Bring both forms with you to your appointment.

  • Once the interlock has been installed, return the P-246 form confirming the installation(s) to the DMV at the above address, so the DMV can verify the installation.

  • After your operator’s license is restored, a final approval letter and restoration notice will be mailed. You must obtain a valid license or Adult Learner’s Permit.