Ignition Interlocks Help Reduce Drunk Driving Events
In recent years, study after study has proven that ignition interlock devices (IIDs) prevent drunk driving events. They also have proven that when an IID is installed in a vehicle, the likelihood of repeat offenses is reduced by 50 to 90%.
Research has shown the following:
- Ignition interlock devices reduce the chances for repeat offenses. Along with treatment, having an IID allows them to form new behavioral patterns by not allowing them to start their vehicle when their Blood Alcohol Concentrations (BrACs) is at or above legal limits as specified by their jurisdiction.
- Many states have evaluated interlock applications and found the reduction in repeat offenses to be between 50 to 90 percent with an IID installed.
- For repeat offenders, several studies show that IIDs may need to be a long-term or permanent condition. There are voluntary programs that allow participants in an ignition interlock program to continue using the device after their program has ended as a way to stay on track.
Recent studies show:
- A study in Pennsylvania found that DUI deaths decreased by 15% in states that enacted all-offender interlock laws.
- A study in Illinois found that participants in their interlock program had an 85% reduced rate of repeat offenses.
- A study in California found that Ignition interlocks are 74% more effective in reducing DUI repeat offenses than license suspension alone for first offenders.
Need An Ignition Interlock Device?
LifeSafer’s IID enables you to continue going about your daily life. LifeSafer offers the most accurate, reliable device on the market and sets the standard for ease of use and quality customer care.
LifeSafer Saves Lives:
Illegal Starts Prevented
Safe, Legal Starts Permitted
Get started today!
Call one of our friendly Customer Support Experts at 800-634-3077 to find out more and to schedule your installation.
LifeSafer is an industry leader in alcohol testing and monitoring. With over 30 years of experience in helping people like you successfully complete their alcohol programs, we offer a level of client value that no other provider can match. From superior customer care to our highly efficient analysis and reporting, you will receive an exceptional level of support. Our Authorized Service Providers focus on quality care to ensure we maintain the high standard of support our customers deserve.
Every situation and state is unique, please consult with your attorney or your state licensing authority to confirm your requirements and obligations.
The information provided in this blog does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only. Information in this blog is current at the time of publication, but may not constitute the most up-to-date legal or other information.
California DMV Study of Four-County Ignition Interlock Pilot Program, June 2016.
Kaufman, University of Pennsylvania, “Impact of State Ignition Interlock Laws on Alcohol-Involved Crash Deaths in the United States,” March 2016.
NHTSA, “Case Study of Ignition Interlock Programs”, p. 13, April 2012.