To help you get back on the road safely, legally and quickly we’ve developed the following checklist. As always, if you have any questions please give us a call at 800-634-3077.
Checklist to Get You Back On the Road & Reduce Your Fine by $625
- Complete the DOT application for a temporary restricted license.
- Obtain SR-22 insurance by contacting your insurance agent.
- Call the DOT and ask if there are any other requirements you must meet to receive a Temporary Restricted License (i.e. unpaid fines). Their number is (800) 532-1121.
- Make an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed by calling toll-free 800-634-3077
- Go to a DOT Drivers License Center. You must have the following with you or already on file with the DOT to obtain a temporary restricted license:
- Completed DOT Application for Temporary Restricted License
- Fee for Temporary Restricted License ($43)
- Ignition Interlock proof of Installation
- Proof of SR-22 insurance
- Pay Civil Penalty at DOT – $200 (Cash or Money Order Only)
Take your temporary restricted license to court with you and the judge can reduce your fine by up to $625.
For complete information regarding your eligibility for a temporary restricted license, contact:
Office of Driver Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204
Telephone: 515-244-9124 or 515-244-8725
Toll-free in Iowa: 800-532-1121