To help you get back on the road after your second OWI offense, we’ve created the following checklist. As always, if you have any questions please give us a call at 800-634-3077.

Breath Test Refusal

As you know, your driving privileges have been suspended for two years. After you have finished the mandatory one year “hard” or total suspension of all driving privileges, Iowa law allows you to get partial driving privileges restored by obtaining a “Temporary Restricted License” (TRL).
You must get a copy of DOT Form 430100 (Application For A Temporary Restricted License), and fill in all the requested information. If you do not have one of these forms, call our office at 800-634-3077, and we’ll send you one. Easy to follow instructions are on the back of the form. Depending on the reason you need a TRL, you will need a “statement” from your employer, school, healthcare provider, substance abuse treatment provider, or community service administrator before you go to the DOT.

You must also complete each item on the checklist below.

Breath Test Failure

After you have finished the mandatory one year “hard” or total suspension of all driving privileges, Iowa law allows you to get your full driving privileges restored, as long as you have an ignition interlock on your vehicle for one year.
You must also complete each item on the checklist below.

LifeSafer Ignition Interlock Checklist IconChecklist

  • Call the DOT at (800) 532-1121 to determine when you will be eligible to get your driving privileges restored and check to be sure there are no other conditions which would prevent you from qualifying to have your license issued.
  • You must have proof of SR22 insurance on file with the DOT or bring it with you to a DOT Drivers License Super Center. SR22 is a form of insurance, which you can get from your insurance agent.
  • You must have a certificate from an approved ignition interlock provider certifying that an ignition interlock has been installed on your vehicle. Call LifeSafer at 800-634-3077, and we’ll give you the information you will need to get an interlock installed. We’re so confident we can provide you with the lowest cost program and the best service that we’ll gladly give you our competitor’s phone numbers, so you can call them for a quote.
  • You may need to bring $200 in cash, certified check, or cashier’s check to pay what the DOT calls a “civil penalty.” You may also want to call the DOT to confirm you have no other outstanding penalties, as these will also need to be paid. The DOT will NOT accept personal checks for this payment!
  • You must pay a $20 license reinstatement fee, $3 surcharge, and $8 if you will be renewing your license for two years, and $20 if you wish to renew your license for five years. The DOT will accept personal checks for these fees.
  • You will need to take an eye exam, so if you wear eyeglasses or contacts be sure to bring them to the licensing center.
  • You must pass a “written” test (actually it is on a computer) on Iowa’s Driving Rules. Even if you have been driving for years, you will probably want to review the DOT Drivers’ Manual before you take the test.

Congratulations, if you have done everything on this list and are otherwise eligible, the DOT should issue you your new license containing an “ignition interlock” restriction for one year.

For complete information regarding your eligibility for a temporary restricted license, contact:

Office of Driver Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204

Telephone: 515-244-9124 or 515-244-8725
Toll-free in Iowa: 800-532-1121
Fax: 515-239-1837

Get started now. Find a LifeSafer installer here or call Toll Free 800-634-3077

Start typing and press Enter to search