It’s hard to believe that the Holidays are almost here again. With a winter chill hitting the air and decorations lining the streets, that festive feeling is starting to extend not just in our homes but out in local restaurants and clubs where people are getting together to share a holiday drink or two.
Just because you’re meeting friends for a Holiday gathering shouldn’t mean you feel obligated to drink alcohol-infused beverages. That’s because there are so many different non-alcoholic Holiday drinks that you’ll never even miss the alcohol.
This Holiday season, choose one of these great tasting non-alcoholic drinks and enjoy the Festive season without alcohol:
If mulled wine is one of your favorite Holiday drinks, this delicious alternative will ensure you won’t miss it at all.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 pears, chopped into bite-size pieces, divided
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 lemon, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine water, sugar, ginger and 1 pear in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Strain out the solids and return the mixture to the pan.
- Add the remaining pears, cider, lemon and allspice and heat over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Add cranberries and vanilla and reduce the heat to medium-low (the liquid should be simmering, not boiling). Let simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve in heat-safe mugs.
Not your average hot cocoa
During the Holidays, you can’t go wrong with a great cup of cocoa. This recipe makes a European style cocoa that’s so thick your spoon will almost stand straight up.
- 2 1/4 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine milk, cocoa, sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking often, until steaming. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil, then remove from the heat.